The 2009 National Chinese Conference brought together nearly 900 educators, administrators, special guests, and other experts. Asia Society, College Board and Chicago Public Schools thank all participants for making this conference a huge success, and especially for helping to advance the field of Chinese language education in the United States.
- Mme Xu Lin, director general of Hanban, announced over 2,000 new scholarships for teachers and students to study Chinese and participate in study trips to China. She also announced more resources for Confucius Institutes, Confucius Classrooms, and will increase the number of visiting teachers from China.
- Chicago Mayor Richard Daley issued a call to action for other communities to invest in their rising generation and to provide opportunities for all students to acquire a lingua franca of the future. Watch video.
- Utah Governor Jon Huntsman (now U.S. Ambassador to China) gave an insightful profile of how his state is working to offer every student opportunities to master Chinese. Watch video.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Evan Osnos gave a compelling glimpse into a new China of the 21st century. Watch video.
- Concert violinist Xiang Gao gave a world-class performance of a suite of Chinese and Western masterpieces on a Stradivari violin.
- Chicago Public School students demonstrated their language learning and performing arts talents.
These are just a selected few among dozens of informative and inspirational exchanges.
Watch this site for videos, articles, PowerPoint presentations, and photos, all to be made available soon.