Mr. Narayana Murthy was born on August 20,
1946 in Karnataka, India. He obtained his Bachelor of Electrical
Engineering (B.E.) from University of Mysore in 1967 and his Master
of Technology (M.Tech.) from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT),
Kanpur in 1969.
He founded Infosys in 1981 along with six software professionals.
He is the Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Infosys.
He was a member of the operating system team that designed real
time operating system for handling air cargo for Charles de Gaulle
airport, Paris. He was the President of National Association of
Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) from 1992 to 1994.
Mr. Murthy is a member of the National Information Technology Task
Force of India, and also of the Prime Minister's Council on Trade
and Industry. He is a Director on the board of the Reserve Bank
of India (RBI).
Mr. Murthy has received several honors and awards:
- He has been featured in the Asiaweek Power 50 (June 2000) -
a list of Asia's Most Powerful People.
- He has been named by Business Week as one of the Top Entrepreneurs
of the Year 1999.
- He was chosen as the Business India's "Businessman of the
Year 1999", the Indian corporate world's most coveted award.
- Business Week chose him as one of "The Stars of Asia"
for three successive years, in 1998, 1999 and 2000.
- He has been awarded the JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award
- He has been conferred with the Distinguished Alumni Award for
the year 1998 by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur. -
He is the Co-Chairman of the Indo-British Partnership.
- He is a member of The Asia Society's International Council
and Board of Councilors of the University of Southern California
School of Engineering. He is also on the Wharton Business School's
Asian Executive Board.
Today, Infosys is acknowledged by customers, employees, investors
and the general public as a highly respected, dynamic and innovative
company. In March 1999, Infosys Technologies became the first India-registered
company to be listed on an American stock exchange (NASDAQ: INFY).