Associate Professor of Business Administration
Phone: (734) 763-0290
Fax: (734) 764-3146
E-Mail: [email protected]
- Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1978
- M.A., Yale University, 1973
- B.A., Cambridge University, 1972
- University of Michigan Business School
- Associate Professor, 1994-present
- Adjunct Associate Professor, 1991-94
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, 1984-91
- Director of Southeast Asia Business Program, 1993-present
- Research Director of Southeast Asia Business Program, 1983-93
- Swarthmore College
- Assistant Professor, 1977-80
SERVICE AND PROFESSIONAL
ASSOCIATION APPOINTMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS
- Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of International Business
- Member of the International Editorial Advisory Board, Journal
of Asia-Pacific Economies, 1995-
- Member of the Board of Trustees, The Asia Society, 1998-2001
- Member of the Board, Woodhead Industries, 1998-2001
- Member of the International Advisory Committee, CMS Energy,
- Member of the Research Advisory Board, Committee for Economic
- Editor: Journal of Asian Business, 1990-present
- Board Member: Michigan Journalism Fellows, 1996-99
- Member: United Nations Committee for Development Planning, 1995-98
- Advisory Board Member: Korea Economic Institute of America,
- Member: Committee of the Program on International Studies in
Asia, Washington, DC, 1993-present
- Member: Southeast Asia Council, Association for Asian Studies,
- Member: Expert Group on Management of Technological Change,
Commonwealth Secretariat, London, 1984-85
- Advisor: Task Force on Female Labour Force Participation, National
Productivity Board, Singapore, 1984
- "Whose 'Model' Failed? Implications of the Asian Economic
Crisis", The Washington Quarterly 12, 3, 1998.
- "Evolution of Southeast Asian Business Systems." Journal
of Asian Business 12, 1, 1996.
- "High Tech and Labour in the Asian NICs" (with Pang
Eng Fong). Labor and Society 14, 1989.
- "Singapore's Success: The Myth of the Free Market Economy."
Asian Survey 23, 6, 1983.
- "Foreign Labour and Economic Development in Singapore"
(with Pang Eng Fong). International Migration Review 16,
- "Vertical Linkages and Multinational Enterprises in Developing
Countries" (with Pang Eng Fong). World Development
10, 7, 1982.
- "The Global Context of Chinese Trade and Investment",
Encyclopedia of the Chinese Overseas, 1998.
- "Liberalization Has Served Southeast Asia Well", Perspectives
on Financial Liberalization, 1998.
- "Strengths and Weaknesses of Minority Status for Southeast
Asian Chinese" (with L. A. Peter Gosling), Essential Outsiders:
Chinese and Jews in the Modern Transformation of Southeast Asia
and Central Europe, 1997.
- "U.S.-ASEAN Trade and Investment in Pacific Perspective."
U.S.-Asian Trade in Pacific Perspective, 1997.
- "ASEAN: New Modes of Economic Cooperation." Southeast
Asia in the New World Order, 1996.
- "Foreign Investment, the State and Industrial Policy in
Singapore." Asian Industrialization and Africa: Case Studies
and Policy Alternatives to Structural Adjustment, 1995.
- "Southeast Asia: Success Through International Openness."
Global Change and Regional Response: The New International
Context of Development, 1995.
- "Singapore" (with Pang Eng Fong and Ronald Findlay).
Five Small Open Economies, 1993.
- "Women's Work in Export Factories: The Politics of A Cause."
Persistent Inequalities: Women and World Development, 1990.
- Foreign Direct Investment and Industrialization in Malaysia,
Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand (with Pang Eng Fong). 1991.
- Investing in Developing Countries, A Guide for Managers
(with Thomas Brewer and Kenneth David). 1986.
- The Chinese in Southeast Asia (with L. A. Peter Gosling).
Vol. 1, Ethnicity and Economic Activity, Vol. 2, Identity,
Culture and Politics, 1983.
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- Southeast Asian trade and investment
- Overseas Chinese and indigenous business in Southeast Asia
- Social capital in international trade and investment
- Competitive strategies of Asian companies
- Political economy of Asian economic crisis